If you set a goal of saving money this year and aren’t doing so well so far, don’t worry, you’re not alone. The end of the year is approaching and Canadians are set to make thousands due these incredible money saving techniques!
Masses of loopholes, bargains, discount vouchers, new offers and just plain ol’ good sense are crammed into our forum. The best new ones get included in the weekly money tips email, and those that last are listed right here. This is a treasure trove for top tips.
Whether it’s toilet training your children, making savings on tax or getting your health checked out for free, the forum’s full of top tips for families. If you’re new to the site, first check out the big family savings; give yourself a Money Makeover to ensure you’re getting the best deal on all your finance products, and aren’t paying over the odds for utilities.
Use the 5-Minute Benefits Check-up article to make sure you’re getting what you’re entitled to, and if you’ve over-spending teens, the free-to-print Teen Cash Class PDF guide’s definitely worth checking out.
Hints & tricks articles
- Stop smoking. Quitting smoking isn’t just good for your health; it’ll make your pocket feel a whole lot better too, as you’ll save on a whole range of financial products as well as cigarettes. The Stop Smoking article includes info about the hidden costs of smoking, and how to kick the habit quickly and cheaply.
- Cheaper prescriptions and medications. There are a host of ways to cut the cost of medicines without compromising on their quality. From getting prescription ‘season tickets’ to buying generic products rather than big-name brands, the Cheaper Prescriptions and Medications article shows you how.
- Getting married. The ultimate romantic gesture doesn’t come cheap, but it’s possible to have a dream wedding without totally breaking the bank. This article’s full of top tips on getting the best value out of your big day, so you don’t spend the rest of your married life paying for it. Read Getting Married: How to have a MoneySaving Wedding
Travel & motoring
If you know where to look, and book in advance, you can make massive savings on getting from A to B whatever your mode of transport. For big train savings, read the Cheap Train Tickets article; for big plane savings, read the Cheap Flights article, or use the FlightChecker.
Phones & internet
It can be complicated to sort out phone and Internet providers; there are so many packages on offer and so many levels of service it’s a bit of a minefield. You can find info about things you should watch out for and detailed best buys in the Cheap Home Phones, Cheapest Mobiles, and Cheapest Broadband articles respectively.
However, before switching, check MoneySavers’ suggestions and feedback on the Telephones Board to ensure you’re going to get value for money.
Hints & tricks articles
Say no to 0870. Named NationalCall, numbers beginning in 0870 are actually more like premium rates, costing up to 6p/minute. Since they’re often used by companies which keep you waiting on hold anyway, their cost mounts up quickly, and is especially irritating when you’re trying to solve a problem the company created in the first place.
Luckily, there’s often a secondary, local-rate number available, and even if not you can still cut the call cost. Read Say No To 0870 for full information.
Free texts. If you’re a bit of a textaholic and you’ve a recent mobile handset, there’s a nifty loophole which’ll let you send texts from your phone for 0.5p each. Plus, send ’em from the net and you can do it free. The Free Texts article includes all the details you need to slash your text costs by more than 95%.
The forum’s a great place to spot deals on entertainment as and when they happen, be it at home or out and about. Big articles to check out are Pay Less For Going Out, which includes details on all lasting family day out deals and how to get hold of them, and DVD Rentals, which’ll show you how to get a steady supply of films for next to nothing.
Hints & tricks article
- Orange Wednesdays: 2for1 cinema loophole. Anyone with an Orange mobile phone tariff can get 2for1 entry at Odeon cinemas on Wednesdays by simply sending a text and getting a discount code.
- Yet, due to free SIM offers, it’s possible to get the discount without the orange tariff too.
Using these tips and tricks mean you still have time to save money in the rest of 2017, and have an excellent start to next year!
If you enjoyed this article and would like more news on finance, money saving, entertainment, or tech news, click below to subscribe to IARI Magazine today!